Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bunnies and Logs

When I met Dana, I never imagined I'd be invited into the world of someone who knows absolutely every single 'cool spot' in Vancouver, the ones that you find by just making yourself get up and explore. Today I found myself (along with Dana, Clay, Charlotte, and TJ) somewhere near Jericho Beach, about 100 yards east of the kayak rental place, behind 5 empty tennis courts, and approximately 250 steps through blackberry bushes. Of course, a typical stop on the Vancouver tourist 'Big Red Bus.' Since TJ had fallen asleep on the 4 minute drive there from our home, I (not wanting to awaken the babe) was ridiculously carrying him in his carseat as we weaved in and out of the brambles until we came to a wide opening of grass...and several fuzzy bunnies! Big ones, small ones...there were quite a few who were very eager to make our acquaintance. Clay, that boy he is, couldn't get enough and I really think he was making his best effort at trying to snatch one up and take it home. Charlotte, on the other hand, wanted to be close - just close enough for a photo op - and would then scream and run away the moment that bunny got one paw too close. Silly girl. Maybe hanging out with Clay will make her less timid around these living creatures with whom we share this place.

After bunny time we headed to the sand where there was, to our delight, a hollow log much like the one Roo hides in during a game of hide-and-seek with Tigger in one of Charlotte's favorite Winnie-the-Pooh stories. What kid can pass up that kind of make-believe-made-real?
Vancouver really is fantastic. I'll miss it when we're gone.

2 comments:

  1. Vancouver hot spots are so much more enjoyable when shared with friends. I love that you guys live only 100 yards away from us :). And I hope Charlotte can teach Clay that other kids may not like it when he gets too rough and yells in their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for you to take me and Cora there!!!

    ReplyDelete